U3GC2&3- Research Portfolio

Research is extremely important in the media industry. Throughout various projects, I have conducted lots of different types of research such primary, secondary, qualitative and quantitative research which I have evidenced below. 
Primary Research
Throughout this course, I have conducted various formats of research including primary research that has been extremely useful for various projects. 
Screen Play Questionnaire
Firstly, here is a questionnaire I recently conducted to help me gauge how popular my screenplay is likely to be if put in production, whether I am aiming it at the correct target audience and how it could be improved to appeal most to people: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SD5QJCF
Questionnaires are a good example of primary research as they can easily reach lots of people and give a good insight into the general opinions of people about a certain topic. I sent this questionnaire to 30 people in a professional manner and due to this I hope it will be taken seriously.
Here are my results. These results have been extremely useful as it allowed me to see if I was targeting it at the correct audience as well as the general response to my idea and what changes could be made to make it more appealing. Both quantitive and qualitative questions were used so I received both open and closed responses which allowed for easy numerical analysis as well as a more in-depth insight.
Documentary Interviews
I also conducted some interviews for the factual programming documentary titled 'life in lockdown' where I questioned 3 people of different demographics about their opinions on the national lockdown in April and how it was impacting them personally. Here is a link to the documentary containing the interviews: https://youtu.be/3wzHjMAJ6aE 
Here is a link to the primary and secondary research done as part of my documentary production which contains the list of questions asked to my participants of the 'Life in Lockdown' mini documentary (their answers are included within the documentary in an interview type format): Life in Lockdown Research Dossier
I found these interviews very useful as they made up the bulk of my documentary and also gave me a good in-depth insight into the effects of the pandemic from different viewpoint and as the questions were all qualitative, they allowed for a real good understanding of how the interviewees felt. The responses also allowed me to determine the tone of my documentary and as the over riding feeling from the responses were negative and sad towards the pandemic, I reflected these feelings in the tone of my documentary through the imagery and commentary making it bias towards being a negative experience. This is a good example of primary research as it allowed me to ask questions directly to participants to gauge their reaction and feelings towards a certain topic which was useful as part of my documentary about how people have been effected by the pandemic and allowed me to determine the tone of the documentary making it extremely useful. 
Secondary Research
Unilever Rebranding
Here is a link to my Unilever rebranding Prezi in which I chose to rebrand Comfort to a new audience: Unilever Comfort Rebranding 
As part of the rebranding I researched Unilever to better understand the nature of the brand. I also researched Comfort to better understand the brand, products and the current target audience so I could target them at a completely new audience. Researching helped me to better understand how they currently brand their products and who their audience is which was very useful to understand to take the brand in a new direction. As part of the research, I used the internet, in particular the websites of Unilever https://www.unilever.co.uk/ and Comfort Comfort Website as well as Comfort advertisement campaigns. 
Comfort Target Audience
According to my presentation for this rebranding project, the target audience for Comfort is currently targeted at mums and woman 'of the house' which is evident through the time in which previous adverts have been shown and also the main characters used in their TV advert. The Comfort TV Advert features a mum as the main character to try make it as relatable as possible to the primary target audience. Also, the fact that the advert was broadcasted day time during the week on ITV helps to target 'stay at home mums' which is their primary target audience. 
Rebranding Target Audience
As part of this project, I then rebranded Comfort to a different audience. My rebranding plan and advert synopsis can be found in the presentation linked above. I decided to rebrand Comfort to have a primary target audience of university students typically between the ages of 18 and 24 and used figures from BARB at the time of the project (January 2020) to help make decisions about advertising placement to attract my ideal target audience of students. BARB figures showed me that my target audience are most likely to watch ITV 2 which is a channel primarily aimed at 18-24 year olds and that the time they are most likely to watch TV is between 9-10pm. Also, upon doing research I found that according to yougov that the target audience for Love Island also matches the demographics for my target audience for the rebranding with 43% of viewers being between the age of 18-29. I therefore decided as part of my distribution plan to broadcast my advert during Love Island ad breaks which are between 9-10 which aligns with when my target audience are most likely to watch TV. 
Here is a screenshot of viewing figures from Love Island 2020 from the BARB website which back up my distribution plan: 
 

Also here is the weekly reach figures of the broadcasting channel ITV2 which also helps to back up the distribution plan from the BARB websitehttps://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-viewing-summary-new/ :



This is a good example of secondary research as it's information that I have collected from another source, in this case the internet. 
Domino's JOMO TV Advert Analysis
Here is a link to my Domino's JOMO TV advert analysis: Dominos JOMO TV Advert Analysis
I completed this analysis as part of the Television Advertisement unit to help me better understand the codes and conventions of adverts and how they are made to appeal to their target audience before I came up with the concept for my own advert. The advert I chose to analyse was The Dominos 'Joy of Missing Out' television campaign. Dominos JOMO Advert
This is a good example of secondary research as again, it involved using another source. Watching this advert allowed me to make my own judgements about the codes and conventions included. Also, as part of my analysis I research things such as the air times of the advert (on the internet) which again allowed me to make judgements about the target audience and how the advert was appropriate to them so I could use these ideas in my own idea for my TV advert rebranding for Comfort.
Depict Research and Planning
Here is a link to all the documentation used as part of the planning for the Depict project: Depict Preproduction Paperwork
Some of these documents involved secondary research. This includes the location release and location recee. This involved using the internet to research potential locations and find out about related permissions that are needed in order to film there. This research was essential to be able to carry out production legally and is a good example of secondary research as it used another source to find out information. 
Quantitive Research
Screenplay Questionnaire 
Again, here is my recent questionnaire I conducted to help me gauge how popular my screenplay is likely to be if put in production, whether I am aiming it at the correct target audience and how it could be improved to appeal most to people: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SD5QJCF
This questionnaire contained both qualitative and quantitive questions. Here is a flipbook of my quantitive results: 
This is a good example of quantitative research as the questions are closed and allows for numerical data to be drawn, allowing conclusions to be made easier e.g. 90% of people would watch my screenplay which shows it has a large appeal or 80% of girls aged 17 would be interested in watching my screenplays would show that it has a large appeal to this demographic. This type of research has been extremely useful for me to make conclusions about my screenplay and who it is likely to appeal to and potential changes that need to be made.
Qualitative Research
Screenplay Questionnaire 
Again, here is my recent questionnaire I conducted to help me gauge how popular my screenplay is likely to be if put in production, whether I am aiming it at the correct target audience and how it could be improved to appeal most to people: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SD5QJCF
This questionnaire contained both qualitative and quantitive questions. Here is a flipbook of my qualitative results: 
This is a good example of qualitative research as the questions are open and allows for participants to really express their opinions which is useful to see what in particular could be changed or what is felt about a certain topic. Qualitative research doesn't allow for as much of an in-depth insight as the questions are closed are number based. Specific conclusions such as 'improving the diversity of the characters' can be drawn from this research type which is really useful for this project as it allows me to see how I can make my screenplay more appealing to my target audience. 
Production Research
Again, here is a link to my preproduction research for the Depict unit: Depict Preproduction Paperwork
This post contains examples of production research which is crucial for the planning stage of all productions. 
Location Recce
As part of the preproduction paperwork, we completed a location recce. This involved researching different potential locations and information about them such as the address and contact details and contains photographs of potential locations to help make informed decisions about where the production should be filmed. This method is useful as it allows important information about locations to be found which can help make decisions about whether or not the location is suited to a production. This can involve a combination of secondary research such as finding out information on the internet and primary research such as visiting the location and taking photos and writing observations.
Location Release
The location release states the permissions about filming at a certain location and includes a signature from the person in charge of the location and  someone involved in the production to prove the production can be filmed in a particular location to avoid legal action. The research for this involves speaking to someone in charge of the location to understand the terms and conditions making it a form of primary research.


The Talent Release
The talent release contains details about the actors and actresses involved in the production and includes a signature from them and someone involved in the production to show they are happy to appear in the production. This involves seeking information directly from the talent making it a form of primary research. 
Budget Sheet
The budget sheet shows all endured costs during production. As our Depict production didn't cost anything, we didn't require a budget sheet but this documentation involves using the internet to work out how much things will cost making it a secondary method. 
Production Schedule
The production schedule is a document stating when certain parts of the production will occur such as what day and time certain scenes will be filmed. This document involves communication within the production team to figure out when everyone is available and also involves researching when the locations are available to plan the production. 



Risk Assessment 
The risk assessment is a document containing potential risks that could occur in production and how it could be avoided. This involves visiting filming locations and using observation (a type of primary research) to observe potential risks and plan how this could be avoided which is useful to avoid harm.

Harvard References

- www.surveymonkey.co.uk. (n.d.). Screenplay Survey. [online] Available at: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SD5QJCF [Accessed 31 Mar. 2021].

- www.youtube.com. (n.d.). Life in Lockdown Documentary. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzHjMAJ6aE [Accessed 31 Mar. 2021].

- Unilever UK & Ireland. (2010). Home. [online] Available at: https://www.unilever.co.uk/.

- comfort. (n.d.). Home. [online] Available at: https://www.comfortworld.co.uk/home.html?gclsrc=aw.ds [Accessed 31 Mar. 2021].

- www.youtube.com. (n.d.). UK TV Commercial for Comfort. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiBhy9C3IY [Accessed 31 Mar. 2021].

- Barb.co.uk. (2018). BARB | Broadcasters Audience Research Board. [online] Available at: https://www.barb.co.uk/.

- Smith, M. (2019). What kind of person watches Love Island? [online] Yougov.co.uk. Available at: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertainment/articles-reports/2019/07/29/what-kind-person-watches-love-island.

- Anon, (n.d.). Weekly viewing summary (from Jan 2020) | BARB. [online] Available at: https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-viewing-summary-new/.

- www.youtube.com. (n.d.). Domino’s Pizza | The Official Food of JOMO. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzuJVM_r6-I [Accessed 31 Mar. 2021].



Comments