The Media Text that has had a Huge Influence on Me


The Media Text that has had a Huge Influence on Me

Out of all the millions of media texts out there, from the breathtakingly amazing films to news programs and documentaries that make you feel empathy and shock, it may come to a surprise to you that the most influential media text to me is actually the sitcom Friends.

I was first introduced to this life changing program about a year ago and since then I have seen all 236 episodes at least 3 times each with no plans to stop! And don’t just take my word for it, it’s been 25 years since the release of the first episode of Friends and the program still remains a timeless classic that was hugely influential and ground braking for its time. 


Previously in the early 90s, mainstream media wouldn’t normalise topics such as homosexual relationships, single parenthood, divorce, homelessness, surrogacy or adoption but through the amazing and lovable characters, these themes are presented as a regular and no way frowned upon part of everyday New York life. Although these topics are widely discussed now, nobody back when the episodes first aired would ever discuss such things but the Sitcom got people talking through it’s light hearted and always amusing portrayal which changed many people’s mindset.


Personally, the reason the 10 series long show has had such a huge influence on me is because watching it has become such an integral part of my life; the characters really do feel like friends. No matter the day I’ve had, whether it was the best or the worst I always feel like Friends is there for me and is my time of the day to forget about what homework is due and what exams are coming up and just switch off.

As well as this, I find all of the characters relatable in some way! From Rachel's love of fashion, to Monica’s obsessive tidiness and Chandlers awkward sarcasm, I find the characters comforting knowing that they are so similar to myself and make some of my flaws that I see in myself normal and comical.

Also, I particularly find Monica, Rachel and Phoebe empowering for women and good role models. Monica represents all women who are scared they will never find the one and ends up meeting the love of her life when she least expects it (Chandler). She also shows that serial dating is ok and gives all women hope that they will eventually find their true love even after dating hundreds of men. Rachel represents all women who are beginning to realise that it’s not
selfish to focus on themselves; after leaving her fiancĂ© at the alter after realising she was not in love with him, she is brave enough to completely start her life again and get a job for the first time after here privileged upbringing, she even manages to bag her dream job later on which shows all women anything is possible. Phoebe represents all women who feel like they don’t belong; after having a tragic childhood and living a large proportion of her life on the street, she manages to turn her life around all whilst staying true to herself and her beliefs which I find truly inspirational. The main reason I think these characters are so empowering though is the fact all of them experienced an unconventional pregnancy (Rachel was a single mum, Monica adopted and Phoebe was a surrogate) which is a comforting prospect for any woman in this daunting position as it shows them that everything will be ok in the end.

And because of all of that, this is why Friends is so influential to not just me but society as a whole which is evident due to the huge cultural significance it has had across 25 years.    

Comments